Best Website Builders for 2021: Reviewed and Compared
To make your presence felt online, it’s crucial to have a website that can attract visitors and capture their attention. It should load quickly on a variety of devices as well and should be responsive to the screen sizes too. However, getting a custom website designed can be quite taxing on your pockets. Which is why the best website builders come in very handy.
By using website builders, you can easily create a website from scratch without much effort. Additionally, you can customize it to look and function just the way you want it to. There are over 1.7 billion websites on the internet, and if you want yours to stand out from your competition, this is the way forward.
Ready to find out more about these website builders? Keep reading.
Disclosure: This content has a few affiliate links, which means if you click on them, I will get a commission (without any extra cost to you).
Table of Contents
Which Website Builder is Best For You?
Here are some of the best website builders out there that can help you create your very own website.
Zyro – one of the best website builders to build and manage a website or online store. Even though it is a relatively new tool, Zyro has already made a name for itself as an innovative website builder for designing aesthetically pleasing websites.
It’s a website building platform that focuses on offering users a clean and intuitive interface. It comes with easy-to-use tools for both customizing and designing your website. No coding or design skills are needed as the builder will do all of the work for you.
Zyro offers AI-based tools that can help you with multiple tasks from generating content to predicting the behavior of your website visitors.
Want to find out more about this tool and its features?
Here you go:
- Easy-to-use editor with SEO-friendly templates
- AI-driven marketing features
- Powerful ecommerce plans
- No transaction fees on payments
- Fast, mobile-friendly, and SEO-friendly websites
- Basic – $1.99 per month
- Unleashed – $2.99 per month
- Ecommerce – $8.99 per month
- Ecommerce Plus – $13.99 per month
- Ease of use – Zyro provides an easy-to-use editor with an intuitive grid. You can design and launch a website in minutes.
- Affordability – Since you can launch a professional website for as little as $1.99 a month, it’s certainly worth pointing out the low cost of running your website with Zyro.
- Powerful tools – AI tools like the AI Writer and the Business Name Generator help you get your business online fast.
- Beautiful templates – SEO-friendly, award-winning, designer-made templates optimized for mobile and desktop.
- Ecommerce features – Offers an easy, accessible, and affordable ecommerce solution.
- Support – 24/7 customer support and 99.9% uptime guarantee.
- Short on templates – Doesn’t have a huge library of templates. They are working on it, and they have just launched their curated template program to get third-party designers to make more templates.
- Limited customization options
Tool/Platform/Software Level ⇒ Beginner (No coding or design skills needed)
Image via Zyro
Shopify has become a name synonymous with ecommerce. With over a million active users and 500k businesses, it’s clearly one of the best website builders in the world.
It’s all due to its ease of use and reliable support that it has made it big and is a favorite of ecommerce store owners.
Image via Shopify
- It offers an all-in-one completely hosted package. It takes care of all the backups, updates, and software management.
- Shopify offers seamless integration of third-party payment gateways to accept payments from your customers. In addition, it has an integrated payment gateway called Shopify Payments.
- As it’s completely built for ecommerce, you have a plethora of options such as inventory management, marketing solutions, and solid analytics to manage your store.
- Their website building process is straightforward, and all you need to do is drag and drop components to create your ecommerce store.
- You can also integrate Shopify with WordPress, which makes for a powerful combination.
- It offers an abandoned cart saver for the very attractive price of $9 per month.
- It provides one of the cheapest ways of starting an ecommerce store with their Lite plan.
- If you use the Shopify Payments system, you don’t have to pay any transaction fees as well.
- Shopify offers loads of POS options as well.
- The most significant disadvantage of Shopify is the high cost of hosting your website. This proves to be a challenge for new entrants.
- As it’s a completely hosted solution, the scope of getting a developer to make changes to your website is nullified.
- You might find it challenging to move away from Shopify at a later stage.
- You can only add up to 3 options for every product that you create.
- Adding custom fields is possible but it can be quite challenging to do so.
- To get professional reporting functionality, you need to purchase the advanced plans, which are more expensive.
Being one of the best website builders for ecommerce stores, Shopify has higher prices than most other website builders. Their packages start from $29 per month and go all the way up to $299 a month. However, if you need a basic plan, they have the Shopify Lite plan which is priced at $9 per month.
Wix is one of the best website building tools out there. This cloud-based website builder brings to you the best of features and helps you design your first website with ease.
Being a wholly hosted platform, you don’t need to pay anything to host your website. It’s due to this and numerous other reasons that Wix has become one of the best website builders that you will ever come across.
Image via Wix
- Wix offers thousands of templates for your website. This makes it easy for you to start creating and customizing it.
- All the templates are fully editable and can be edited through the simple drag and drop method.
- You also have the option to install both free and paid apps on your website to improve its functionality.
- It has a free plan that comes with limited bandwidth. However, you can only use a subdomain name with it.
- Every website on Wix gets free SSL.
- Wix offers short term pricing and this makes it great for short-term projects.
- The user interface is pretty and convenient to use. All its functions can be executed by anyone who has hardly any knowledge about coding.
- If you go for the Free or Connect Domain plans, Wix ads will show up on your website.
- The process of migrating your website from Wix is complicated.
- The advanced plans are fairly expensive compared to their competitors. At the same time, they don’t offer unlimited bandwidth or space.
- There aren’t a lot of third-party apps and extensions on Wix.
- There are several limitations for long-term growth if SEO is an integral part of your marketing strategy.
- It’s difficult to add any additional code or advanced marketing tools to your ecommerce website.
- Because the platform is totally controlled by Wix, there are several technical limitations.
What makes Wix one of the best website builders out there is its affordability. It has a free plan for those who want to experience its website builder. However, if you want to develop a full-fledged website, they’ve got paid plans for that. These plans range from $11 to $29 per month.
Weebly is one of the best site builder tools which reduces the effort that you need to put into designing a website. It’s got a beautifully designed page builder that lets you create and edit your website without any coding at all.
Additionally, it’s a fully-hosted platform, which means that you won’t need to manage or install any software. It’s a one-stop-shop for hosting and managing your website.
Image via Weebly
Want to know more?
Let’s take a look at some of its advantages and disadvantages.
- You can easily create your website using Weebly’s live page editor.
- It’s possible to launch your ecommerce store with it as well. You also get access to their built-in support.
- Be it slideshows or even contact forms, Weebly has built-in features for it all.
- Due to its ease of use and the great features that it offers, Weebly is definitely one of the best website builders for beginners.
- Weebly is a completely hosted platform, which means that you cannot get a developer to upgrade your website at any point.
- For every purchase that your customers make to your ecommerce store, Weebly charges 3% transaction fees. To avoid these fees, you need to purchase their business plan, which costs more than the others.
- The content management system (CMS) of Weebly isn’t as good as that of other competitors. It’s not possible to add custom content types.
- It can be difficult to add advanced marketing tools to your ecommerce website.
- Migrating your account to some other host can be a challenging task when you create your ecommerce website on Weebly.
Want to know the best part?
It’s entirely free for basic use. However, if you want to connect a domain, their basic plan costs $5 per month. The Pro plan is $12 per month, while their Business plan costs $25 per month. In all the paid plans, you get a free domain. Additionally, in the Pro and Business plans, you get $100 worth of Google Ads credit.
Squarespace is clearly one of the best website builders out there. With its simple drag and drop interface, even if you’re new to web designing, you can create a professional-looking website quickly.
Want to know what makes it so great?
The variety of designs and themes that it offers, along with the ease of use, make it a favorable website builder.
Image via Squarespace
- Loads of website designs and themes to help you get started on your website designing journey.
- All website designs are completely editable, giving you full control over the customization of your website.
- It’s possible to use multiple templates at a time on your website which lets you pick the best elements of each.
- It also offers an ecommerce plan through which you can open your online store.
- You can seamlessly manage your products, orders, inventory, coupons, etc.
- Squarespace falls short when it comes to the integration of third-party applications. Third-party apps make it simple to add functionality to your website. Limited functionality makes it difficult to grow your business on Squarespace.
- The only payment gateways accepted on Squarespace are Stripe, PayPal, and Apple Pay. It’s not possible to add any other payment gateways. This reduces your scope of operating your ecommerce store.
- Adding and editing content can sometimes be difficult, especially if you’re not used to its interface.
- Squarespace is quite expensive to start with. This makes it challenging for ecommerce stores that are just starting out.
Squarespace offers four major website plans starting from $12 to $18 per month. Their online stores cost $26 and $40 per month. This makes it fairly expensive compared to its primary competitor, WordPress, which is free of cost.
Domain.com is yet another popular website builder. Its ease of use makes it one of the best website builders out there. The best part about all its themes is that they’re mobile-friendly. This improves the user experience of your website.
Image via Domain.com
- It offers a drag and drop interface to create your website with ease.
- Be it video, text, or even images, you can drag and drop them all to your preferred locations.
- It’s possible to customize every element of your website, including colors, fonts, and other features such as boxes.
- Domain.com offers SEO tools that make it easy to rank your website on search engines such as Google.
- You can also open your ecommerce store through Domain.com and sell products directly through your website.
- It allows you to accept credit card payments as well.
- The most significant con of Domain.com is that there is no real onboarding process once you purchase the website builder. This makes it difficult for beginners to start designing their first website through it.
- Their basic plan doesn’t have Google Analytics integration or even revision history.
- The basic plan also has a limit on the number of pages that you can create.
- Domain.com doesn’t provide an uptime guarantee. Without significant uptime, you can’t expect to keep your store running 24×7.
The best part about Domain.com is that their basic plan comes free with every domain that you purchase. Their Pro plan costs between $6.99 and $12.99 per month. On the other hand, their best plan costs between $15.99 to $24.99 per month, based on your requirements.
If you are talking about the best website builders out there, you can’t miss out on Mobirise. This website builder is solely dedicated to creating mobile-friendly websites, and it succeeds in doing so in style.
Taking into account the mobile-first approach of search engines, this should be your go-to website builder.
Image via Mobirise
- The website builder works completely offline on both Windows and Mac.
- It has over 1800 templates, themes, and website blocks that can help you design your dream website.
- The drag and drop interface of Mobirise makes it easy for even non-techies to design stunning websites.
- The mobile-first approach of Mobirise can help you build an SEO-friendly website.
- There are loads of choices for blocks.
- Loads of extensions are available for you to choose from.
- It doesn’t offer any hosting options so you will need to purchase your domain and find a suitable web hosting platform.
- The websites made using Mobirise look similar because the format of template blocks cannot be changed.
- The updating process of your website needs the availability of the website files of your project. This unnecessarily complicates the process.
Pricing is one more reason why Mobirise is on this list of the best website builders. It’s a free and open-source website builder, and thus, pricing is no bar to explore it and create a website of your own.
Whether you want to create a blog, make your website, or start an online business, WebStarts is one of the best website builder. With some fantastic features such as automatic domain setup, mobile readiness, and over 700 fonts, you can make beautiful websites on WebStarts quickly.
Image via WebStarts
- The domain can be set up within seconds of creating your website.
- The paid plans of WebStarts offer free submission service of the website to Google so that you can start ranking in searches as well.
- It offers a live chat option to engage with your website visitors.
- It offers a robust content delivery network too.
- You can add HTML and CSS code snippets to tweak your website.
- It provides easy integration with social media. This can make it easy to promote your website.
- It’s easy to set up your website using their informative tutorials through which you can understand the process.
- If you want to host an online store, you have to opt for their most expensive plan.
- The content delivery network option is only available for the Business plan.
- Ads are displayed on all the pages of the free plan.
- WebStarts offers hundreds of templates. However, they aren’t up to the mark and lack the quality and finesse that other website builders offer.
- Customer support is fairly limited on WebStarts as there’s no live chat support for any of the plans.
- The websites aren’t optimized for mobile. This might mean that you’ll lose out on a vast chunk of your audience.
WebStarts fares well in the fact that it offers a free plan for those who want to create a simple website. Their plans are reasonably priced and start from $7.16 per month. The Business plan costs only $19.99 per month.
What’s more, you ask?
With all paid plans, you get free advertising credit as well. The Business plan especially comes with a plethora of features, and that’s why WebStarts is one of the best website builders for businesses.
9. Pixel Together
Just like many others on this list of the best website builders, Pixel Together offers a drag and drop interface for creating your website. It also boasts of several smart features such as professional hosting, flexible animation, and agency solutions.
Image via Pixel Together
- The websites designed through Pixel Together are genuinely responsive and work on all screen sizes efficiently.
- You can also insert your custom code into the website to improve its functionality.
- It’s possible to publish your website directly through a single click due to its cloud hosting environment.
- You can quickly backup your website by exporting your codes and scripts.
- You need to design your website from scratch as there are no templates available.
- Many of the other best website builders offer free plans however, Pixel Together does not.
- It doesn’t have many options for hosting an ecommerce website.
On the pricing side of things, Pixel Together offers three different plans – Single Website, Multiple Websites, and Enterprise. The single website plans range from $10 to $30 per month.
For multiple websites, a five site bundle starts at $45 per month. It goes up to $185 per month for 25 websites.
The enterprise bundle can be customized as per your requirements.
Strikingly lets you create beautiful websites without much effort. They believe in keeping things simple, and all you need to do is click and edit your website and publish it instantly. The ease with which you can design a website through Strikingly makes it one of the best website builders in the world.
Image via Strikingly
- You can easily register your domain name or add the one you already own to your website.
- Using its built-in ecommerce support, you can easily set up your store and instantly accept payments from PayPal or Stripe.
- It’s also possible to create a blog and add features such as signup and contact forms to your websites.
- Powerful analytics for your website are built into the website builder itself.
- You get free HTTPS with all custom domains, which can enhance the security of your website.
- It’s possible to accept payments only from PayPal and Stripe.
- All of the paid plans apart from the Pro plan display Strikingly ads.
- You can only have up to 500 products per website, even in their highest plans. This is a big limitation for ecommerce websites that want to scale up and expand.
- One of the biggest cons of Strikingly is that it can only create one-page websites unless you go for its Pro or VIP plans. This can pose a big challenge for your website’s SEO.
- It provides extremely limited customization options. You can’t create your own sections or add anything within their premade sections.
- It offers limited technical flexibility. There are no Open Graph or schema settings.
While Strikingly does offer a free plan, it provides minimal features in the same. Its Limited plan starts at $8 per month. The Pro plan costs $16 per month while the VIP plan is priced at $49 per month.
What makes GoDaddy one of the best website builders is the fact that it’s a one-stop-shop for all your website requirements. Through GoDaddy, you can purchase your domain name, pick a web hosting plan, and even design your website with ease.
The best part about this website builder is that it can do everything that you need, right from helping you rank on Google to setting up an ecommerce store.
Image via GoDaddy
- All the websites that you create using the GoDaddy website builder are mobile-friendly and come with a responsive design.
- The drag and drop method of building the website makes the entire process of creating it more straightforward.
- It can help you with email marketing, SEO, and also offers Facebook Insights right at your fingertips.
- It’s an ecommerce-friendly website builder, and you can easily track your orders, get checkout reminders, and manage your store.
- The 24/7 support ensures that whenever you hit a roadblock, they will always be there to solve your problems. It’s due to this stellar support that it’s one of the best website builders on the internet.
- One of the major drawbacks of the GoDaddy website builder is that it’s challenging to switch between themes without messing up your website and its content.
- While it offers loads of features, the website builder in itself is not very advanced.
The GoDaddy website builder is reasonably priced, and its basic plan starts from $8.99 per month. On the other hand, its most advanced plan is priced at $22.99 per month.
However, if you want to open your ecommerce store on GoDaddy, the website builder costs $44.99 per month. Each plan comes with free SSL too.
Duda is one of the best website builders for scaling up your business. It’s possible to seamlessly import content and build your website using its drag and drop interface.
The best part about this website builder is that all your web design assets can be shared with your entire team to streamline the process of website design.
Image via Duda
- You can easily add SSL to your website and secure it with a single click.
- It has a 99.99% uptime as your websites are hosted on AWS.
- It’s possible to edit and create your website on-the-go even through your mobile.
- To simplify the process of designing a website, they provide pre-designed website sections as well.
- Duda also allows you to launch your ecommerce store through their website builder.
- All the statistics and analytics options are available in one place for you to understand your website’s performance.
- It’s not possible to port your website to another web hosting platform.
- There aren’t any third-party widgets, which can seriously hinder your website’s progress.
- Email newsletter integration is not available, as well.
Duda’s basic plan starts from $14 per month. On the other hand, their Team plan is priced at $22 a month and gives you access to team and client management features. If you want to host multiple websites, you can choose the Agency plan that costs $74 per month.
Using Yola, you can seamlessly create professional websites within minutes. Its drag and drop one of the best website builder which allows you to add elements to your website quickly, and you can customize it to your requirements.
Image via Yola
- One of the most significant pros of Yola is that it doesn’t display any third-party ads, even on the free version.
- You can choose from hundreds of templates and customize them based on your needs. The pages that you design through Yola are also optimized for SEO.
- The responsive nature of the websites ensures that you will be able to reach even those customers who access your website through smartphones.
- It’s easy to set up your ecommerce store and manage your inventory and orders seamlessly.
- They also provide hosting packages and domain names.
- Although Yola does offer 24/7 support, there is no option for phone support.
- There are several limitations when it comes to the design and navigation of websites.
- Many of their templates are outdated and pretty ordinary.
- It doesn’t offer an option for blogging.
Want to try it for free?
Yola offers a free plan where you can create a website of up to 3 pages. Their paid plans start from $4.95 per month and go all the way up to $19.95 per month. It’s due to this reasonable pricing that it’s one of the best website builders online.
Voog’s one of the most powerful website builders out there which lets you build stunning websites from scratch. Their drag and drop website builder makes the entire process of creating your website short and simple. You can easily customize your entire site through its tools and add functionality to it.
Image via Voog
- All the websites that you create with Voog are responsive and will work well on mobiles.
- One of the features that makes it one of the best website builders is that it’s available in 10 languages and you can create websites of any language through it in parallel.
- All the websites built using this builder are SEO-friendly and come with built-in analytics tools.
- You can start your online store through Voog too.
- It’s a paradise for developers as you can build fully customized sites using it. They provide a developer toolkit, database builder, and an online code editor to simplify things for you.
- Voog offers very few templates and themes. Unless you know how to code, there is not much you can do to modify them.
- While you can create an ecommerce website, it will be a fairly basic one. Hence, scaling up becomes an issue.
- The blogging feature of Voog is pretty simplistic as well.
Voog offers no free plans. Their paid plans start from $8.88 per month where you can only create a website of up to 30 pages. On the other hand, their Premium plan costs $43.29 per month. Due to the coding limitations, it’s one of the best website builders for developers but not so much for beginners.
Webnode is one of the best website builder tool which makes it easy to create a website, be it a blog, business website, or an online store. You can choose from a wide variety of templates that they offer and customize them in seconds to fit your requirements.
Image via Webnode
- You get access to built-in SEO tools that can help you gain visibility on Google.
- You can easily integrate Google Analytics with the website builder to track your website’s performance.
- It’s possible to create a multilingual website through the platform too.
- You can set up your online store using their attractive templates and manage orders with ease. They also provide powerful analytics to track your performance.
- It’s possible to integrate widgets, but you need to do it through coding only.
- The features offered for ecommerce stores are pretty limited.
- The customer support isn’t all that great as there’s no one-to-one live chat option.
What makes Webnode one of the best website builders is its pricing. With their basic plan starting from only $3.95 monthly, it’s effortless to set up your website. Its professional plan, called Profi, comes for $19.95 per month.
Bonus Tool #1: Websitebuilder
If you need to create a website that is perfectly customized to your requirements, you should use Websitebuilder. All you need to do is answer a few short questions, and its intelligent website builder will design the perfect website for you. (This makes it an excellent site builder.)
Image via Websitebuilder
- Has an intelligent website builder that works based on your instructions.
- You also have the option to customize the website after the website builder does its job.
- All the websites are completely mobile responsive and load quickly. This improves your SEO as well.
- You get SSL with all your websites without any additional charges.
- All your website statistics are available at your fingertips.
- Website banner ads are displayed on the free versions.
- To connect your domain, you need to sign up for a paid plan.
- A 3% transaction fee is charged on all the purchases made by your customers, except when you’ve opted for the Ecommerce Plan.
Websitebuilder offers a bunch of features in their free version, and that makes it one of the best website builders on the internet. Their paid plans are pretty affordable too. They start from $11 per month, and the most expensive plan, the ecommerce Plan, costs $20 per month.
Q1. Which free website builder is best?
A. The best free website builder has to be Wix. The intuitive interface makes it easy for anyone without technical knowledge to build an aesthetically pleasing website. All you have to do is drag-and-drop the elements and fill in the information.
Q2. Which is the easiest website builder?
A. Weebly is the easiest website builder. The beautifully designed page builder lets you design your website without any coding. They also have pre-built templates that you can edit and customize to fit your requirements.
Q3. What is the easiest ecommerce website builder?
A. If you want to build an ecommerce website, you should consider using Domain.com. This website builder is perfect for building and running ecommerce websites and you can design the website using the simple drag-and-drop interface.
Q4. Is Wix actually free?
A. Yes, Wix is 100% free for anyone who wants to start a website. However, the free version also means that Wix can display ads on your website. To avoid this, you will need to opt for the paid version.
Q5. What is the cheapest website builder?
A. The cheapest website builders are:
Q6. What’s better, GoDaddy or Wix?
A. Both Wix and GoDaddy are popular website builders. While GoDaddy also offers loads of hosting options, Wix’s business mainly leans towards the website builder. However, what makes Wix the better of the two is that it also offers a free plan, unlike GoDaddy. This way, anyone who wants to create a website can easily do so with Wix.
Q7. Is WordPress better than Wix?
A. WordPress powers over 35% of the websites in the world and that clearly shows why it’s the best site builder out there. However, creating and managing websites on WordPress is slightly challenging and requires some technical skills. On the other hand, Wix is great if you’re a beginner as you can manage your website without any technical knowledge.
Q8. Is it cheaper to code your own website?
A. Coding your own website can be cheaper than choosing a website builder if you’re the one doing the coding. Otherwise, the fees that you would typically pay a developer would be much higher than the cost of a website builder. However, if you code your own website, you’ll be able to get all of the features that you want.
Q9. Is Wix better than Squarespace?
A. Yes, Wix is more versatile than Squarespace and also offers more features. The website builder is superior to that of Squarespace. Wix also has a free plan unlike Squarespace, which makes it a better website builder than Squarespace as anyone can get started with it.
Q10. How do I choose a good website builder?
A. To choose a good website builder for your business, follow these steps:
- Figure out your requirements (type of website, features, etc.)
- Determine your budget.
- Check the number of themes offered by the website builders.
- Consider the ease of use.
- Check the pricing.
- Check the SEO features.
- Consider the support offered.
Ready to Choose a Website Builder?
When it comes to website builders, there are loads of options that you can choose from. The best website builders are those that give you solid flexibility and are also affordable.
Before setting out to build your website, it’s crucial to select the right website builder based on your requirements. Study their features carefully and make an informed decision.
Do you need any help building a website or marketing your brand? You can get in touch with me.
Disclosure: This content has a few affiliate links, which means if you click on them, I will get a commission (without any extra cost to you).